***Effective 12/9/20: All in person court appearances are currently suspended as a result of increased COVID-19 cases and further restrictions imposed by Office of Court Administration. The court office remains open by appointment only from 9 - 1 Monday through Friday, except for Holidays.
New Scotland Court is continuing to hold special sessions for criminal matters per Office of Court Administration guidelines. If you have received a phone call or letter to appear, you are required to do so. All vehicle & traffic violations have been adjourned to a later date and can be negotiated through the mail by contacting the court.
Please contact the court with any questions regarding these changes. We can be reached by phone 518-475-0493 or email email@example.com. ***
Town Justice Courts play a vital role in the New York State Unified Court System. Justice Courts have a very broad but limited jurisdiction in matters affecting the local community. It is for this reason that Justice Courts are often called "the Courts closest to the people."
Vehicle and Traffic infractions may be mailed to P.O. Box 318, Clarksville, NY 12041. Please make sure you complete the appropriate section (guilty or not guilty) and include your current address and signature before mailing.
• Courts will follow State and local COVID-19 guidelines.
• Our courtroom seating has been reduced to ensure social distancing.
• Face masks must always be worn while at our facility.
• Hand sanitizer is readily available.
• Our courtroom will be sanitized after each session.
• If you are ill or have any known symptoms associated with COVID-19 or have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19, DO NOT come into the court facility. Contact your attorney immediately and advise them so they can request an adjournment. If you don’t have an attorney, contact the court.
The Town Court is authorized to handle matters involving the prosecution of misdemeanors and violations that are committed within the town. The Town Court also conducts arraignments and preliminary hearings in felony matters. In addition the court hears Vehicle and Traffic Law misdemeanors and traffic infractions.
Civil jurisdiction of the Town Court is limited to $3000.00 for small claims proceedings. The Court also handles landlord/tenant matters that may result in an eviction as well as a money judgment for back rent. Often, individual litigants do not use an attorney in these matters and are not required to do so.