Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
RESOLUTION NO. 045 OF 2019Town of New Scotland, New York
RESOLUTION DESIGNATING STEPHEN P. WALLACE (SWIFT ROAD) PARKAS A PARK PERMITTING DOGS TO BE WALKED OFF-LEASHDURING CERTAIN TIMES
A meeting of the Town Board of the Town of New Scotland, Albany County, New York was convened in public session at the Town Hall located at 2029 New Scotland Road, Slingerlands, New York 12159 on February 13, 2019 at 7:00 o’clock p.m.
WHEREAS, Local Law No. 2 of 2019 authorizes the Town Board to establish “dog parks” and areas within a town park as areas that allow residents of the town to allow their dogs to run off-leash, under the dog owner’s supervision, at certain times of the day;
WHEREAS, certain residents have requested that the Town Board permit dogs to run off-leash at the Stephen P. Wallace Park during certain designated times of the day when there is limited use of the park;
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS HEREBY
RESOLVED, that for the period commencing February 18, 2019 and ending December 31, 2019 (the “Expiration Date”), and during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. (and only during that two (2) hour period) residents of the Town shall be permitted to walk their dogs off-leash at the Stephen P. Wallace Park, located at 148 Swift Road in the Town of New Scotland subject to the rules and regulations set forth in Schedule A attached to this Resolution. (The time limitations and rules and regulations shall be known as the Swift Road Park Dog Policy); and it is further
RESOLVED, that on or before the Expiration Date, the Town Board, after consultation with the Superintendent of Highways and the Animal Control Officer (Dog Warden), shall determine whether to continue the Swift Road Park Dog Policy. The Animal Control Officer is hereby directed to keep records regarding any incidents or complaints involving dogs at the Wallace Park, and provide a report to the Town Board thirty (30) days prior to the Expiration Date; and it is further
RESOLVED, that Superintendent of Highways is hereby authorized to purchase and install a sign setting forth the Rules and Regulations, and install such sign or signs at the Park; and it is further
RESOLVED, that any dog off-leash must display a valid dog license issued by the Town of New Scotland. Any dog found off-leash at the Wallace Park that does not possess a tag to demonstrate that the dog has a valid New Scotland dog license shall be removed from the park, and, in the discretion of the Animal Control Officer (Dog Warden), 1) be impounded; and/or 2) the dog owner shall be subject to fines and penalties; and it is further
RESOLVED, if the Town Board does not continue the Swift Road Dog Park Policy after the Expiration Date, the policy, and the authorization to walk dogs off-leash at the Wallace Park, shall automatically expire.
A motion by Member LaGrange seconded by Member Hennessy, to adopt Resolution No. 045 of 2019.In favor: 5 AyesOpposed: 0 NaysMotion Approved: 5 Ayes
The Resolution was adopted at a meeting of the Town Board of the Town of New Scotland duly conducted on February 13, 2019.
_________________________________________ SCHEDULE A
RULES AND REGULATIONSRE: DOGS/DOG WALKING
The following are the rules and regulations relating to walking dogs at the park:
• Except during designated hours (see below), all dogs must be on a leash while in the park.
• The Town has adopted a town-wide Dog Control Law, which requires all dogs on public property to be on a leash. A leash is a physical restraint. A shock collar or “electronic leash” does not constitute a leash. The law is available on the Town website.
• During designated hours, residents of the Town of New Scotland are permitted to walk a dog off-leash, under the owner’s supervision and control. Any dog harassing or intimidating walkers, runners and other park users will be removed from the park.
• OFF-LEASH HOURS: The hours when a dog may be walked off-leash are: 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. At all other times dogs must be on a leash.
• Any dog off-leash must display a valid dog license issued by the Town of New Scotland.
• The animal control officer (Dog Warden) shall take all necessary steps to enforce these rules and regulations, including impounding any dog that is running off-leash and not displaying a valid dog license.
• Only residents of the Town of New Scotland are authorized to walk their dogs off-leash at designated hours.
• Owners of dogs using the park must clean up after their dogs.
• Dogs displaying aggressive behavior, and any dogs considered dangerous by the Animal Control Officer, shall be removed from the park immediately.
• Failure to abide by these Rules and Regulations and the Town’s Dog Control Law shall result in immediate removal of the dog from the park and imposition of fines.